Monday, August 15, 2011

New Music

I feel so out of touch with the music scene. I haven’t had this feeling for years, but for the last month and a half I feel like I don’t know what’s going on.

I know there are new records out or coming out by artists I have liked for years, but normally I’d be able to rave or rant about those releases.  Not so much the case at the moment.  Here’s a sample what I look forward to hearing in the folk music realm:

A long-time favorite of mine, Catie Curtis, releases “Stretch Limousine on Fire” on Aug 30.  Catie’s written and sung some fantastic tunes over the years. I look forward to hearing what is next.

Kris Delmhorst is about to release a covers album (that will come in handy for the Acoustic Brunch I am sure). This won’t be just any covers album, but one dedicated to the music of The Cars.  I would have never guessed that Kris would be the first artist I am aware of to do this.  Should be interesting and hopefully good.

Indigo Girls are readying another release as well. I am rarely disappointed by these ladies. Oct 4 is the date for “Beauty Queen Sister,” though I was not thrilled with the first single on first couple of listens. I am sure there are gems on this release. 

I have heard the forthcoming live release from Slaid Cleaves.  It’s a real nice "picture" of what Slaid does live.  He’s a darn good songwriter and player and “Sorrow & Smoke: Live at the Horseshoe Lounge” might be a good first disc if you’re not familiar with him.  I’ll squeeze in a tune from in on the August 28 edition of the Acoustic Brunch.

Somehow I’ve missed hearing new releases from Chuck Brodsky (Subtotal Eclipse) and Thea Gilmore (John Wesley Harding), but they are out there, just waiting for my (and your) ears.

In the non-folk world I am excited to hear new Snow Patrol and Coldplay releases.  A two CD hits/rarities release from Barenaked Ladies makes me wonder if they’ll come up with any rarities I don’t already have and the reissue of U2’s Acthung Baby! with its multiple discs and multiple choices is also very intriguing.

It’s that time of year where we will be inundated with new music to consider spending our hard earned money on or put on our Christmas lists for someone else to buy.  Prepare yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment