Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Steel Wheels, Jetty Rae and Dan Henig

Alright blog, I apologize for ignoring you.  It’s been awhile since I’ve had time and inspiration at the same time.  Today is the day.  I’m listening to a new live CD by a band called The Steel Wheels and that inspired me.  On the day of this writing, they will be playing the Ark tomorrow.  If you read this on or before August 4, go see them.  Great harmonies and a lead singer whose voice perfectly matches the modern bluegrass/folk inspired songs they write.  I imagine they’ll have copies of the “LIVE AT GOOSE CREEK” CD for sale at the show too. Save the shipping costs and buy it there.  If you’re a fan of local bands like Steppin In It and Wayward Roots, The Steel Wheels should appeal to you.

By all rights, I should be going to that Ark show on the 4th. I know it’ll be fantastic.  I think, however, I will be attending a smaller venue show.  Not because it’s free, but because two local musician friends of mine are playing a show together again at the same place I saw them perform together last time, Crazy Wisdom Tea Room.  While I have always said The Ark trumps all venues, sometimes supporting friends trumps The Ark.  Dan Henig is a singer from Ann Arbor that sent me a couple of demos in early 2010.   Since then, I’ve been bugging him to get to work on a recording people could purchase.  His song “Gravity Bound” is a perfect slice of singer/songwriter pop – the kind we play on 107one.  Even in its raw demo form I could hear a hit.  Dan finally dropped off a finished, more polished EP.  He and I disagree on the choice for a “single” from it, but either way I think his voice and songwriting hold a lot of promise for a break-out artist from this area.  He’ll be performing with another friend of mine, the beautiful and talented Jetty Rae.  Jetty has just released a new recording, La La Lu and the Lazy Moon.  It’s a “children’s” record that sounds nothing like a children’s record.  If you’re a parent and a fan of our Sunday night show Sonic Bliss, this might be a record for you.  On the other hand, you don’t have to be a parent to enjoy it (nor a fan of Sonic Bliss).  I’m not a parent (but I love Sonic Bliss) and I do.  It’s her voice.  Hear it and fall in love with it.  See her live and hear it without the layering and really fall in love with it.  Jetty and Dan are just two examples of the relatively unknown talent Ann Arbor has to offer.  I wish I could do more to change that for them, but there’s only one of me and thousands that need to discover them.

Speaking of things trumping other things as I did above, sometimes “wife” trumps all of my decisions on what I will do (married men, you understand, right?).  I may go to neither show and regret it while meanwhile appeasing my biggest supporter.  Perhaps my next blog will be a review of the show.  Only time will tell as Asia once sang…

No comments:

Post a Comment