Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Album Review: The Darkness of Birds - Amy Petty (2020)


As a radio host for the last 17+ years I have the pleasure of hearing at least a hundred new releases every year during that time.  Some are from artists I’ve been a fan of for a long time, some are new artists, and some are artists who’ve been out of the music scene for a while. It has been a long time in between albums for Amy Petty.  Her third release, a seasonal record called Sycamore Tree, came out in late 2011.  It’s also been a long time since I’ve heard an album this solid from start to finish, especially from someone who took so much time away from releasing music.  In my estimation, this is a career defining album for an artist who is going to capture a lot of people’s attention with the sheer beauty of this piece of art.   While producer Andy Reed’s assistance with the full realization of what were once acoustic demos is key, it’s Petty’s stunning voice and excellent song writing that really tells the story here.

Each song has its own strength.  “The Dreams That Are Waiting For Us” are adult ideas that Petty’s young daughter came up with off the top of her head.  Not sure what people are made of?  Your answer is here.  From the mouths of babes.  If you are familiar with her earlier material, by comparison, this song sounds so big and ready for a wider audience. Meanwhile, I’m ready to sign her daughter up for a publishing deal if these are the ideas she’s coming up with before she’s even a full time student in elementary school.

“Murder Ballad (The Innocent Cry)” sounds like a Quentin Tarantino movie.  In fact, every time I hear this one I see the music video that doesn’t exist in my head.  It’s masterfully laid out and by the end you aren’t sure who to feel sorry for. 

The depth of the lyrics to “Undertow” are striking.   When the chorus hits, if you weren’t paying attention, you are now.  If her voice didn’t grab you on that first song, your head is going to turn quickly.  In concerts, this one always gets my full attention as it moves from delicate to booming.  Another one I can see a music video for in my minds eye. 

“I’m Sick Of The Radio” with its clever turn of phrase, e.g. “I change one letter and the whole thing is new” (think about it, station WXYZ likely doesn’t have the same format as WXXZ), is another example of the strengths of this songwriter.  I’m not even offended by this as a guy who does radio for a “living” because it’s so good.  It sucks you in.

“Pull” is haunting with its layered vocals.  This one sucks you in too, or rather pulls you in.  The metaphors are strong: “There’s a stranger and she’s waiting in the chamber…”  Guns have chambers, chambers are rooms.  Man that’s good. And so is this song.

The accompanying explanation Petty tells when performing “The Other Way” will help you connect to the song in a way you might not on first listen.  However the beautiful ache in her vocal on the line “will you stay here with me now” will make you choke up.  If it doesn’t, you are dead inside.

Tied with “Undertow” as my favorite song on the record (today anyway) “Liar and A Thief” is so damn catchy.  I played an early, unplugged version of it on my radio program and a listener was so captivated by it she called the station to find out who it was. People don’t usually do that when it comes to unsigned acts at my station.  This could be a hit single in my opinion.  Think back to Lilith Fair era radio.  This would have been all over the radio if it had been released then. No reason it couldn’t be today.

Producer Andy Reed counts in “Moses”, a song that imagines what it must have been like to be approached to play the role in biblical history that Moses played.  When Petty sings “Oh Lord” I never want to hear anyone say or sing those words again other than her.  It’s perfect.

Like the album’s opener, “Closer To Gone” steps pretty far away from what she’s done in the past.  This is more like Sarah McLachlan being influenced by Lorde.  It’s way cool and I can see some remixer turning this into a dance floor hit. I have just the guy in mind, Tyler Duncan.  Do you have trouble sleeping? She can relate and it’s going to get stuck in your head.

“You Never Came” is a bad dream explored in song with more haunting imagery from Petty’s masterful pen.  That ache is there again.  It’s such a lovely ache.

Finally, a rare piano based song in the Petty catalog closes out the album.  “The Day The Devil Died” isn’t going to be played at many churches, but it’s both a stunning hymn and melody and delivered in a way that only this rare talent could.   48 minutes later I’m ready to start at the top again because I want more.

For the most part, it is not an album that will lift you up, but I guarantee you will be moved.  I don’t think it was intended to make you feel good, but you will definitely feel something - the power of the music.  Isn’t that what music is supposed to do? Make us feel?

It's pretty unlikely there will be an album other than this one at the top of my best of 2020 list at the end of the year.  

More info on this amazing artist and her music:

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! I agree with this incredibly passionately written review of Amy's new album!! Way to go Amy and John!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to hear this. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete