Sunday, October 2, 2011

LIVE MUSIC


LIVE MUSIC
There’s nothing quite like live music.  I am lucky enough to be able to see a fair amount of live shows in the area and I must say – there’s no shortage of talent worth plunking your money down for.

Recently I had the pleasure of enjoying a show at the Ark with Lindsay Lou and the Flatbellys with Jen Sygit and Sam Corbin opening the show. These players from the Lansing music scene are among the best out there. Jen has a voice I like to compare to a young Patty Griffin.  Sam has developed a knack for writing really catchy songs for lovers of Americana/Folk and Lindsay Lou has one of those gorgeous voices you’d swear was active in the 1940’s or something.  If you’re unfamiliar with these folks, look them up. You won’t be disappointed.

Also recently, I saw Seth Glier and Willy Porter on the same night at the Ark.  Willy has been around awhile and is one of my favorite guitar players.  He’s got quite a sense of humor too (evidence of which was strong during his final song that night).  If you’ve listened to 107one for any length of time on a weekday and heard 107one concert calendar that airs twice a day, you’ve heard Willy’s “Road Bone.”  I always like seeing him perform when I can.  A couple of years ago, I stumbled across a CD from Seth Glier. The song “Gotta Get Away” really grabbed my attention and I’ve had a chance to see him live (and hear newer material from) a couple of times since. He’s really getting comfortable up there, though the set was very similar to the last time I caught him (except more refined).  Seth is someone to look out for.

A recent CD sent to me for airplay consideration is from Susan Werner. She is backed by the fabulous Trina Hamlin and Gail Ann Dorsey on this recording. It sounds as if they left very little out this night at the Center for Art in Natick (Massachusetts).  In addition to a great selection of Susan’s back catalog, there is some top rate banter on this CD as well.  I found myself laughing out loud at certain points.  This will provide me with some great stuff to include on a future edition of the Acoustic Brunch. More information at http://www.susanwerner.com/music/index.html   

And now, I look forward to a visit in Studio A2 and a concert with Vienna Teng. More on that later.

John

No comments:

Post a Comment