Thursday, April 28, 2011

Trends

I'm noticing an encouraging trend in the music business as far as tastes are concerned.  There's a spot for everything in my ears.  Some things I like more than others and some I expect to be more successful to the masses.  What I am noticing is an increase in popularity and acceptance for bands that are more, I guess I’ll call it, organic. 

Mumford and Sons are a great example.  They’ve sold a million copies of their CD, Sigh No More, gotten airplay with three singles now and when you hear it next to Lady Gaga or Black Eyed Peas it really stands out as different – there’s a banjo!  The success of artists like Iron and Wine and the emerging success of William Fitzsimmons I also find encouraging.  Guys who are just doing what they feel with no formula attached.  I hope this leads to the return to popularity of the singer-songwriter. 

Thinking back to my youth when guys like Kenny Loggins could actually have hits, there’s not really pop artists like that having tons of success…but they should.  Matt Wertz is making this kind of music and doing it very well.  And in a different way, Chris Trapper is quietly flying under the radar and I don’t get it.  He fronted a band (The Push Stars) who had regional success (though not my region) and opened for Matchbox20 at the height of their popularity, has had songs in movies and TV shows for years, and yet most people don’t know who he is.  On his first visit to our studios a year or so ago, I told him a story of his friends in Great Big Sea.  While visiting our studio they noticed a signed poster from Mat Kearney (who has had success) and they made the comment “hey, that’s the guy that sounds like Chris Trapper!”  Mat is pretty well known, has had several hits in the format 107one does (AAA) and most of Mat’s fans (who would certainly like Chris’ songs) have never heard of him.  That’s just wrong!

The good thing is, Chris will be in front of 800 or so people this week at the Ark opening for Colin Hay and perhaps folks in Ann Arbor and the surrounding community will take notice.  The other good thing, more people are appreciating this kind of music.  There’s hope yet….

No comments:

Post a Comment